Wednesday 3 May 2017
Labor cuts $17.5m from Bendigo Kangan
The Andrews Labor Government has cut $17.5 million in funding from Bendigo Kangan Institute, as student numbers plummet.
Skills and Training Minister Gayle Tierney tabled Bendigo Kangan’s annual report in Parliament yesterday, minutes before the 2017-18 Victorian State Budget was announced.
Speaking in Bendigo today, Shadow Minister for Training, Skills and Apprenticeships Steph Ryan said Bendigo Kangan was receiving $8.5 million less from the Andrews Government to subsidise student training.
“Labor tried to hide the tabling of the report in the frenzy of the Budget, hoping no one would notice that they cut $17.5 million in funding to Bendigo Kangan last year,” Ms Ryan said.
Ms Ryan said the Andrews Government was hiding key data about the number of students enrolled at the TAFE to cover-up the extent of Victoria’s training crisis.
But the TAFE annual reports show that student numbers have declined significantly.
“Bendigo Kangan Institute reports in detail on its electricity, gas and energy consumption by campus yet it won’t report how many students are enrolled in the institute,” Ms Ryan said.
“TAFE is going backwards in Victoria, making it harder for young people in Bendigo to get the skills they need to find a job.”