Friday 23 November 2018
Protecting and preserving Victoria’s natural environment
The Liberal Nationals believe that all Victorians have a responsibility to protect and preserve our natural environment.
For this reason, we have released an Environment Position Paper which outlines our comprehensive suite of priorities to ensure that we protect our biodiversity, encourage a greater appreciation of our natural resources, and reduce pollution and waste.
In particular, a Liberal Nationals Government will:
- Implement a new, $27 million waste and recycling industry package to save Victorian families and businesses from the worst effects of Labor’s kerbside waste collection crisis and save local jobs to protect local industry;
- Ban the retail sale of products containing microbeads. This ban will help stop the devastating effect we know microbeads have on our waterways, oceans and marine life;
- Establish a new Environment Engagement Program to tackle local environmental challenges head on. Locals will help to decide local priorities with designated programs for rural and urban Landcare, Coastcare, National Parks volunteers’ grants and weed management;
- Review wildlife protection laws so that the penalties for those convicted of wildlife cruelty align with community expectations;
- Properly protect the unique and ecologically important Wilson’s Promontory with a new management plan and the construction of a new predator-proof fence;
- Improve the health of Port Phillip Bay and remove rubbish from the Yarra River;
- Provide support for the new biking and walking trails such as the Warburton Mountain Bike Trail, Highlands Track, Great Southern Ocean Bike Trail and Daylesford-Hanging Rock Trail so that more people have the opportunity enjoy our natural environment; and
- Establish a single, state-wide 13-number emergency response service hotline to be used by all Victorians to support the rescue of injured or sick animals.
The Victorian Liberal Nationals’ Environment Position Paper is available here.
Comments attributable to Shadow Minister for the Environment, Nick Wakeling:
“The Liberal Nationals have a proud history of supporting and protecting our natural environment.
But one of the most important ways to achieve conservation goals is to ensure that we encourage individuals, communities, and businesses to appreciate more of what our natural state has to offer.”